Advanced 3D Computer Graphics - IMA904/IG3DA
M2, IGR / IGD Master, 2021-22
This course tackles advanced topics in computer graphics while aiming to broaden and deepen your knowledge covered along the IGR program in M1. We will discuss advanced concepts of offline and direct rendering as well as geometry processing and simulations with a wide range of applications such as games and VFX.
The training includes a set of differnt practical exercises, known as TP, such that you can master the topics with actual programming examples. These exercises will not be graded. At the start of the course, you have to choose a research article from the proposed list and work for a project on the selected topic for the final evaluation.
You must have followed the IGR201 and IGR202 courses of the IGR program (or equivalent) in M1 and are supposed to own the followings:
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and OpenGL
- Good understanding of vertex and fragment shaders
- Good understanding of common lighting models (rendering equation, microfacets models, textures, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of raytracing
- Basic knowledge of spatial structures for accelerated queries (octrees, kdtrees, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of geometry processing (simplification, subdivision, filtering, parameterization, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of physics-based simulation (PDE, numerical scheme, etc.)
Course Schedule and Materials
Time: Friday @ 08:30-12:45
- 24 Sep 2021: Room.1A226 (Lecture) Introduction to Unity - Elie Michel
- 01 Oct 2021: Room.1A201 (Lecture) Advanced offline rendering - Jonathan Fabrizio
- 08 Oct 2021: Room.1A226 (TP) Ray tracing - Jonathan Fabrizio
- 15 Oct 2021: Room.1A226 (Lecture/TP) Advanced direct rendering 1/2 - Jonathan Fabrizio
- 22 Oct 2021: (No lecture) Midterm preparation
- 29 Oct 2021: Room.3A209 (Lecture/TP) Advanced direct rendering 2/2 - Jonathan Fabrizio
- 12 Nov 2021: (No lecture) The school is closed.
- 26 Nov 2021: Room.1A226 Midterm presentation
- 03 Dec 2021: Room.1A226 (Lecture/TP) Point cloud processing and reconstruction - Amal Dev Parakkat
- 10 Dec 2021: Room.1A226 (Lecture/TP) Mesh processing - Amal Dev Parakkat
- 07 Jan 2022: Room.1A226 (Lecture/TP) Position based dynamics (soft body simulation) - Kiwon Um
- 14 Jan 2022: Room.1A226 (Lecture) Introduction to fluid simulation in graphics - Kiwon Um
- 21 Jan 2022: Room.1A226 (Lecture/TP) Practical techniques for advanced fluid simulation in graphics - Kiwon Um
- 28 Jan 2022: Room.1A226 (TP) Stable fluid - Kiwon Um
- 11 Feb 2022: Room.0A213 Final presentation (or exam)
Articles for project
Each topic should be exclusively selected by one student. To match your topic, plesae go to this shared sheet.