Perceptual Evaluation of Web Browsing
The World Wide Web is still among the most prominent Internet applications. While the Web landscape has been in perpetual movement since the very beginning, these last few years have witnessed some noteworthy proposals such as SPDY, HTTP/2 and QUIC which could disrupt the Web status quo and profoundly reshape the protocols family at application layer. We're working toward the definition and assessment of objective metrics related to quality of user experience [SIGCOMM-QoE-16],[INFOCOM-IC-16],[GLOBECOM-03] and on gathering subjective user feedback (technical report to appear soon, and dataset shortly thereafter)
In particular we propose in [SIGCOMM-QoE-16] two replacement metrics for Google's SpeedIndex, namely ObjectIndex and ByteIndex, that are structurally similar to the SpeedIndex but tremendously simpler to compute. In a nutshell we argue that, to some extent, the objects (or bytes) that are received by the browser (or the network card) can provide a first approximation of the visual completeness of the rendering process. We test SpeedIndex, ObjectIndex and ByteIndex (along with other metrics) on the Alexa top-100 dataset, finding high levels of correlation among these metrics as shown in the arc diagram (if interested, check [SIGCOMM-QoE-16]).
- Our latest work on studying HTTP/1.1 vs HTTP/2 with objective QoE and subjective MOS metrics will appear at [PAM-17]
- We're proud that our [SIGCOMM-QoE-16] paper was selected as best paper of the ACM SIGCOMM Internet-QoE workshop and reprinted in ACM SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev.. You can still grab the dataset below for free
- We were finalists at the IEEE Infocom 2016 Innovation Challenge [INFOCOM-IC-16]
- Here you can downlaod the datasets of our [SIGCOMM-QoE-16] paper
- We'll be releasing a technical report and a dataset of subjective user WebMOS (undergoing anonimization)
- [PAM-17] Bocchi, Enrico, De Cicco, Luca, Mellia, Marco and Rossi, Dario, The Web, the Users, and the MOS: Influence of HTTP/2 on User Experience . In Passive and Active Measurements, Apr 2017.
- [SIGCOMM-QoE-16] Bocchi, Enrico, De Cicco, Luca and Rossi, Dario, Measuring the Quality of Experience of Web users . In ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on QoE-based Analysis and Management of Data Communication Networks (Internet-QoE 2016), selected as best paper in the workshop for reprint in ACM SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev. , August 2016.
- [DIRECTORSCUT-16] Bocchi, Enrico, De Cicco, Luca, Mellia, Marco and Rossi, Dario, HTTP/2 vs the Users: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Director's Cut) . In Technical Report, April 2016.
- [INFOCOM-IC-16] Bocchi, Enrico, De Cicco, Luca and Rossi, Dario, Web QoE: Moving beyond Google's SpeedIndex . In Finalist at the IEEE INFOCOM Innovation Challenge,, April 2016.
- [GLOBECOM-03] D. Rossi, C. Casetti and M. Mellia, User Patience and the Web: a Hands-on Investigation . In IEEE Globecom'03, San Francisco, CA, USA, December 2003.